Sunday, September 30, 2007

Anyone seen a job lately?

We've been really lucky to have been able to stay with my friend Kim for the first month. She was my flatmate in Tokyo, Japan, when we were both teaching English there during 2005.

She’s now studying a Graduate Diploma in Public Relations at university here in Toronto, so we’re living in her parents basement apartment and they have treated us very much like part of the family so we’ve been very spoilt :-)

The only trouble is, town is MILES away... seriously, like an hour on the train (that’s if you’re lucky and you manage to actually get the train, I missed it the other day and have to wait an hour for the next one - but that's another blog!)... so we are busy looking for jobs just now and once we’ve succeeded in that, we can start to look for places to live downtown.

Craig’s fortunate to be in IT as Toronto (pronounced “Taronno” by the locals) is the IT capital of Canada, so he’s doing pretty well and with interviews and receives numerous calls from recruiters daily.

I on the other hand am finding job hunting quite tough. The Public Relations industry here is very much a ‘who you know’ business, but I’m ever hopeful that something will come my way.

At times it’s been hard and I’ve found it challenging to stay positive, but then I remind myself that it’s far easier to believe something won’t work out than that it will.

So I remain hopeful, and plan on trying a few different ‘tactics’ over the next week and building my contact base a bit more – surely something must eventuate sooner or later...

Will keep you posted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home